Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Top Seven Disney Villain Songs

I said that there were going to be lists.  Well, beware, 'cause here's my first one.  Break out the awesome lighting effects and requisite dancing sycophants.

(Before I go any further, I should say that yes, I am a huge classic Disney fan and lots of my lists will probably be about them.  If you don't like dancing singing animals, then you're destined to sit in a depressingly mature hole for all of eternity, writing about the economy and what kind of dishwasher just came out.  I'd start liking dancing singing animals, if I were you.)

7.  Snuff Out The Light (Yzma's Song)
Now, I'm not sure where this song came from - whether it was originally to go in The Emperor's New Groove itself or in what TENG would have been, Kingdom Of The Sun.  I'm betting on the latter, because it would make much more sense in that respect.

Anyway, I've never heard of this song until I started looking.  And it's a creepy song buried under the jazzy music.  I always knew Yzma was a good villain.  Given a serious movie (not that TENG isn't awesome, because it is), she could have been really scary.


Now, I didn't really like  The Princess And The Frog.  It just wasn't that memorable for me. But this song is catchy, and the whole transformation sequence is... well, shall we say, well done.

(Though it seemed like a lot of trouble when all the good doctor wanted to do was to turn Whatshisface Prince into a frog.  A bit like overkill, if you ask me.) 



I love the Siamese Twins.  They're awesome.  And they're cats.  So I don't usually consider them to be villains.  But everyone else does, so I'll count this epic song as a villain song.  

I mean, it's the Siamese Cat Song.  Who doesn't occasionally find himself singing:

We are Siamese if you please - 
We are Siamese if you don't please.



Now, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame is one of those not-really-for-kiddies kiddie movies.  Mostly because of this song.  You can tell from the title that it's not exactly "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes."  It's really a pretty disturbing song - kind of PG-13, if we're being conservative.

That said, it's a very successful villain song, in that it 1) evil-fies the villain, and 2) gives a reason why the villain is being evil.  And, y'know, it's just plain disturbing

3. Mother Knows Best / Reprise

Ah, Gothel.  You're such an awesome villain.

To be honest, I'm cheating here a little, because, if you'll notice, I have links to two songs - "Mother Knows Best" and "Mother Knows Best (Reprise)" because, to be honest, you can't have one without the other.  The one sets up the entire story, really.  The second... well, the second is just bloomin' awesome.  I got the shivers the first time I heard it.

This is why he's here!
Don't let him deceive you!
Give it to him, watch - you'll see!
Trust me, my dear - that's how fast he'll leave you
I won't say I TOLD YOU SO!



Okay, let's get this straight.  I can't stand The Little Mermaid.  It has oodles of horrible messages that I'd love to rant about here, but it's not really the place.  SO.   The song.

It's awesome.  Only good part of the movie.  Ursula is an awesome villain and her song is dead on.  Personally, I wish Ariel had ended up in Ursula's mer-garden, but a bunch of wittle girls probably wouldn't be too happy with that. 

And number one is...



Now really, could it be anything else?
I don't think so.
With great visuals, great music, and fantastic characters, it's really hard to beat this song.  I feel kind of sorry for all the villain songs that came after "Be Prepared."  Because there's really no way to compete with the evilness contained within.


Well, those are my Top Seven.  Additions/subtractions?  Criticisms?

No comments:

Post a Comment