Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day songs... sort of.

Happy Singleness Awareness Day, folks!  Yeah, nobody appreciates that joke anymore.  Anyway.

Well, I'm sure 90% of Americans (American girls, anyway) are out there counting down their favorite love songs or movies or romance books, and that's fine.  Love is lovely.  HOWEVER, romantic love is not the only love.  And as a strong proponent of Singleness Awareness Day, I have taken it upon myself to give you... the friendship love, or phileo love, as C.S. Lewis said.

Frodo and Sam.  Mike and Sully.  Charlotte and Wilbur.  In many cases, friendship is more compelling than romance.  (Most cases for me, but - wait for it - that's a rant for another time.)  Yet it's often overlooked, especially on V-Tines's Day.

So, to make up for that, I'm counting down my favorite buddy songs!  Whoohoo!  I'm probably not going to rant too much - I'll just put a verse or two. ...Though if I can really keep from ranting about my favs, I'm not sure.

10. Trust Me - The Fray
Okay, so it's kind of... creepy in a way - like an old gangster talking to a new recruit or something - but still.  I like the protective sound of the song. (Told ya I couldn't resist ranting.)


We're only taking turns
Holding this world
It's how it's always been
When you're older, you'll understand.


9. I'm In The Way - Jars Of Clay
If you think that hope was left behind
I picked it up a mile ago
And I am running close behind
So don't give up and don't let go.


8. Sticking With You - Addison Road
And if I have to jump, then I'll jump
And I won't look down
You can cry, you can fight, we can scream and shout
I'll push and pull until your walls come down
And you understand I'm sticking with you.


7. Dandelion Wine - Blackmore's Night
Kind of a sad friendship song, like something you'd hear at the end of Lord of the Rings.


Let's laugh at the memories and talk all afternoon
Let's remember the moments that leave us all too soon
We'll smile at the pictures still lingering in our minds
When you're reminiscing, then all you need is time.


6. Keep Holding On - Avril Lavigne
You're not alone, together we stand
I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand
When it gets cold and it feels like the end
There's no place to go, you know I won't give in.


5. Long Live - Taylor Swift
I guess you could argue that this is a love song?  Meh.  I like it as a buddy song.  Either way, it gives me shivers.

Long live all the mountains we moved
I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you
I was screaming long live that look on your face
And bring on all the pretenders
One day, we will be remembered.


4. Those Nights - Skillet
One of my most-listened-to songs ever.  Because it's awesome.  Again, maybe a love song, but I picture best friends better.

Remember when we'd
Stay up late and we'd talk all night
In a dark room lit by the TV light
Through all the hard times in my life
Those nights kept me alive.


3. Nothing I Won't Give - Vic Mignogna
Because it's about Ed and Al, the best brother duo since I really don't know when!   A little more angsty than most are, but it's still great.

I promise you, there is nothing I won't give
To see this through
Return the soul to where it lives
I promise you I'll go everywhere I've been
To find a way to make atonement for my sin and see
See your smiling face again.


2. For Good - Wicked musical
Even if you don't like musicals, it's hard to believe that this isn't a good song.

Like a wind blown from its moorings by a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird in a distant wood
Who can say that I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.


1. If I Didn't Have You - Monsters, Inc.

WHOO!  The epicest buddy movie ever! (Yes, I just coined a new word.)  Of course the song is awesome.  Maybe the previous songs have better technical quality or whatever, but when it comes straight down to it... this is the best friend song.

If I were a rich man with a million or two
I'd live in a penthouse in a room with a view
And if I were handsome - those dreams do come true -
I wouldn't have nothing if I didn't have you. ...

You and me together
That's how it always should be
One without the other
Don't mean nothing to me
Nooothiiiing toooo meeeee... 
[Yes, I did have to do that.  It's my blog.]

I don't have to say it
'Cause we both know it's true
I wouldn't have nothing if I didn't have
I wouldn't have nothing if I didn't have
I wouldn't have nothing if I didn't have 
You - you - you - you
A-E-I-O, that means YOU!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment